Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.

What can i do when my landlord has given me a 3day notice to

Customer Question

what can i do when my landlord has given me a 3day notice to terminate for waste nuisance or illegal activity in retalliation to me saying i was going to sue him for comeing on to the space i rent destroying my personal property and makeing threats to me
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today! It will take me just a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

He's not going to be able to evict you under these circumstances. First, even if you are in default, if you don't leave, the law does not allow the landlord to forcibly evict you without obtaining an eviction order from a court. What that means is that if you do not move out, the cannot simply change the locks or throw your things out. Rather, what the landlord has to do is to first deliver a 10-Day Notice to quit...which basically says you have 10 days to leave or face eviction. But, if you still don't leave, the landlord must then file an unlawful detainer petition with the court for an eviction order. You will get a notice of that hearing. And, at that hearing, you can contest the landlord's right to terminate your tenancy in retaliation of exercising your legal rights. Specifically, RCW 59.18.250 prevents the landlord from retaliation. You can see this statute at this link: . Based on this, the judge will rule against the landlord and the landlord's petition will be dismissed.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!