RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

I have rented a home years (one year leases) in Concord, CA

Customer Question

I have rented a home for 4 years (one year leases) in Concord, CA (94518). I currently pay $2415/mo. My landlord just called saying he is not renewing my lease because he wants to do some light renovation (using a very inexpensive laborer who is going to die soon....friend of the family) and then re-rent the house for $3000-3200. He says that if he doesn't use this cheap laborer, then down the road he would have to pay double the cost for renovation. I think this is illegal to kick me out just so he can "charge the market rent." I even offered to increase 16% to $2800/mo so I can stay in the house and he says no. Can you advise me if this is legal?
Thanks,
Ryan
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 6 months ago.

Ryan, good morning. When a lease expires, the landlord has no obligation to renew the lease and rent it to a tenant again, if they do not want to. It is at their discretion and as long as they are not discriminating against a tenant, there is nothing illegal. Based upon what you shared above, the landlord is seeking to renovate to increase the value of the property and what he can get for rent. If the home is outdated, an upgrade will allow him to try and rent it out for more. If the person doing the renovations is willing to do this for a much lower price then others, the landlord can take advantage of it and renovate once the lease ends and you vacate. Even though you have offered to pay an increase rental amount, the landlord does not have to accept it if they want to take advantage of the timing of this and the person doing the work. It appears he is acting in good faith and not doing anything illegal.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify anything. I am here to help so please let me know.