Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I've been living in my grandfather's house, with his

Customer Question

I've been living in my grandfather's house, with his knowledge, and without paying rent for the last 6 years. He died a little over a year ago, and since his death I took over the payments to the bank. I am not sure if the bank is aware that my grandfather. Do I and my four children (two of which are registered at the school down the street) have any squatters rights? Has the statutory period now run out? If so, how do I obtain the deed?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I need more information. Did your grandfather leave a Will? If not, did he leave a spouse or any other descendants? Has anyone filed a probate case yet? Was he named as the sole grantee on the deed to the property?