How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 5436
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I've been living in my grandfather's house, with his

Customer Question

I've been living in my grandfather's house, with his knowledge, and without paying rent for the last 6 years. He died a little over a year ago, and since his death I took over the payments to the bank. I am not sure if the bank is aware that my grandfather. Do I and my four children (two of which are registered at the school down the street) have any squatters rights? Has the statutory period now run out? If so, how do I obtain the deed?
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I need more information. Did your grandfather leave a Will? If not, did he leave a spouse or any other descendants? Has anyone filed a probate case yet? Was he named as the sole grantee on the deed to the property?