LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years legal experience. Additionally, in CA I held a Real Estate Broker's license.

I live in the state Washington and may have to file

Customer Question

I live in the state Washington and may have to file bankruptcy Chapter 7 and we may have to sell our house which is on 2 lots. If we sell our house would we be able to keep the money from the sale of the house? Also, we may divide the property and just sell the lot that the house is on and keep the other lot w/o a house on it. Would we be able to do this?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 months ago.
Good afternoon Nancy,I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If you file bankruptcy, Under WA law, you will be allowed to keep as much as $125,000 of the equity from your home after sale. The remainder of any equity after the sale would go to your creditors. However, you may not divide the property and keep the extra lot for yourself. You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.I wish you and yours the best in 2016,Doug
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 months ago.
Good afternoon,Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?Thanks in advance,Doug