J. Warren
J. Warren, Lawyer
Experience:  Experience in residential real estate and commercial leases.
64316804

My neighbor is violating building codes and impacting my

Customer Question

My neighbor is violating building codes and impacting my property. They run an illegal horse boarding business and erected stables against building code. We suffer from noise and smell day and night. Building and safety has inspected the area but no changes are made by the owner (they shipped horse out before the inspection and brought them back thereafter). I there anything I can do civili to address the matter?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  J. Warren replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry you are dealing with this situation. Yes a private nuisance civil suit can be brought against the neighbor seeking monetary damages (such as mental distress, diminution of property value, loss of use and enjoyment of property), potential punitive damages (money paid civilly for violating writing codes) as well as a court order stop the activity that is causing the nuisance and is violating codes and ordinances.

In addition, you may consider contacting the district attorney office and apprise them of the activity and let them decide whether to investigate and prosecute them criminally for their violations.

All my best and encouragement. Thank you for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! Please press a positive rating above this message box in the ratings section so I will be paid for my time assisting you on this matter. Pressing a positive rating will not cost any additional money - it is simply the trigger used by Just Answer to pay me for my time (pressing the middle star or the fourth or fifth star on the right are all positive rating buttons).

Can I answer any additional follow up questions for you or clarify anything I have written above? If not, can you please press a positive rating above this message box in the ratings section so I will be paid for my time assisting you on this matter? Pressing a positive rating will not cost any additional money - it is simply the trigger used by Just Answer to pay me for my time (pressing the middle star or the fourth or fifth star on the right are all positive rating buttons).

Expert:  J. Warren replied 9 months ago.

.