Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992

My parents died some 5 years ago, about 2 years apart. My

Customer Question

My parents died some 5 years ago, about 2 years apart. My mom was the last living parent, who willed to me a grandfather clock ( that I have received) and one- fourth of a twenty-eight acre farm, that has a house and a barn. There was a day bed, my mom got me to use, for my use only, until I recovered from a surgery, and moved to El Salvador to date and marry a lady from there, for three years.
After mom died, she left the house to my youngest brother. Just recently, a quitclaim deed was sent for me to sign, and send on to another brother for him to sign, for the deed of the HOUSE MY MOTHER WAS LIVING IN WHEN DECEASED, to go to my youngest brother, NOT THE 28 ACRE FARM.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

A quitclaim deed doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the property in the will (although it can). Sometimes a title company wants a quitclaim deed signed even though property was given prior to death.

AS to what this one does you would have to have a local lawyer read the legal description of the land and compare it to the deed work to know which pieces(s) of land are covered by the quitclaim deed. It could be the land that was willed to you, the land what was willed to your brother, or something else entirely. The only way to know for sure is by the legal description.