J. Warren
J. Warren, Lawyer
Experience:  Experience in residential real estate and commercial leases.
64316804

We are a Condo complex that has 14 units. One owner owns 2

Customer Question

We are a Condo complex that has 14 units. One owner owns 2 units which is problematic for individuals that are trying to get a mortgage because of this issue. The owner has sold one unit and is getting ready to sell the other unit. Can we change the bi-laws to prohibit an owner owning more than 1 unit??
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  J. Warren replied 9 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. Bylaws may be amended by 66 2/3% vote of the unit owners and may place restrictions on the number of units owned by a non-occupied owner. The amendment will require proper notice and vote which is typically set forth in the association bylaws. If not, then the Michigan Condominium Act (codified as MCL §559.101 et. seq.) provides for proper vote, notice and amendment procedure. The State Bar of Michigan has a Lawyer Referral Service that can assist you with locating a condo association real estate lawyer:http://michiganlegalhelp.org/organizations-courts/find-lawyer/state-bar-michigan-lawyer-referral-and-information-service All my best and encouragement. Thank you for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! Please press a positive rating above this message box in the ratings section so I will be paid for my time assisting you on this matter. Pressing a positive rating will not cost any additional money - it is simply the trigger used by Just Answer to pay me for my time (pressing the middle star or the fourth or fifth star on the right are all positive rating buttons).
Can I answer any additional follow up questions for you or clarify anything I have written above? If not, can you please press a positive rating above this message box in the ratings section so I will be paid for my time assisting you on this matter? Pressing a positive rating will not cost any additional money - it is simply the trigger used by Just Answer to pay me for my time (pressing the middle star or the fourth or fifth star on the right are all positive rating buttons).