Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

On June 1, 2016 I am purchasing a RI flea market which had

Customer Question

On June 1, 2016 I am purchasing a RI flea market which had been condemned two months ago. The tenants have been told by the current owner, that they had to move out for building repairs. The court allowed the tenants to enter the building for the sole purpose of removing their property. They have not paid rent for two months (week to week basis) and have not moved out. What is the correct procedure to get them out or to pay rent if that is possible ? The tenants feel they have a right to stay and not pay rent. HELP!!!
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. You must give the tenants written notice to evict them. If they have been given notice and the court has ordered them to remove their property then they have received such notice, now you would have to return to the court that issued the order to them to remove their property and file a motion for an order to show cause for contempt of court and ask the court to grant you an order to remove and dispose of any property remaining in the building. You have to take them back to the court to get a court order to evict them and remove their property. Once you get the order you can then proceed to remove the property and make the renovations.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The tenants were not ordered to remove their property. The court order to the property owners stated that all of the tenants were allowed to enter the condemned buildings to retrieve their property only. I need the buildings empty to make the necessary safety repairs. I put a RIGL "Termination of Tenancy Notice" on the doors of the buildings rented. I didn't have mailing addresses for these tenants. These tenants have not paid their weekly rent for the last eight weeks. Do I need to start the eviction notices for "Non Payment of Rent" ? Do I need to mail the "Termination of Tenancy Notices" ?'
Thank you for your clarification.
Does the current owner have the information on the tenant addresses? If they do then they need to give that information to you OR they need to send the notices. If they do not have the information then you send the notices to the last known address you have on the tenants if you cannot discover any addresses and send them the notice to pay or quit for non-payment of rent then you would file suit against them all for eviction.
If you are not owner until June 1, the current owner should be obligated to do the notices as part of the condition of sale.