RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

My 25 year old son lives with me. just got out of jail last

Customer Question

my 25 year old son lives with me. just got out of jail last week and I let hime come back. He is unemployed and usually is - never paid rent, utilities etc. The police told me recently I could not just kick him out(I tried and he called them) That I had to get an eviction order - is that correct?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.

Where someone is essentially a guest, and pays no rent, you would file an "unlawful detainer" action, which is similar to an eviction, except that an eviction is used for a person who has a rent obligation. It's the same process as an eviction - getting an order from the court, and then if they still don't leave after the judge orders them to, you could then have the police put him out at that point.

If you need clarification or additional information, please reply and I'm happy to assist further. Otherwise, kindly remember to leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars/happy faces before signing out, so I am credited for my time and assistance today. Thank you!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can I file it myself, pick up the forms at the courthouse or do I have to hire an attorney

You don't need a lawyer for it, but these are not generic forms, and typically have to be drafted by an attorney. These are sample forms for an unlawful detainer action that I found for Santa Rosa, Florida that you could use as a reference --you may even want to check with the Clerk of Court to see if they have similar forms. I would caution that the filing fees referenced can vary by county and that these forms are listed as being from 2014, so may have changed slightly, but they are a good starting point.

Did you need clarification or additional information about my answer? If so, please reply, I'm happy to assist further. Otherwise, please remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as experts are not employees of this site and we are only paid if you leave a positive rating. Thank you.

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 10 months ago.

Just following up with you. Did you need clarification or additional information about my answer? If so, please reply, I'm happy to assist further. Otherwise, please remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as experts are not employees of this site and we are only paid if you leave a positive rating. Thank you.