Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.
7286322

It is a felony to move a survey marker (corner monument).

Customer Question

It is a felony to move a survey marker (corner monument). Who do you report that crime to.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

This depends on which agency placed the survey marker.

If it was a state agency that owned/placed, then the local police may be contacted. The individual responsible may be charged under any number of state laws as seen HERE. It would depend on exactly what was done.

If it was a federal agency that owned/placed the marker, then the local FBI office may be contacted. One can then be charged with theft of government property under 18 U.S.C. Section 641. Anything worth less than $1,000 would be a misdemeanor, but anything worth $1,000 or more would be considered a felony.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank You for your answer. Under Survey and corner Recordation Act, chapter 47-20.1-12 disturbance of survey corners-penalty. It states nothing about $1000.
Expert:  Ely replied 6 months ago.
Ah, thank you. Then this is a ND survey corner that you are talking about. If so, then under ND law, disturbing a state survey corner is an INFRACTION. Not a felony. The crime can be reported to the local police.
Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.
Expert:  Ely replied 6 months ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!