MIAMILAW1127, Lawyer
Experience:  Founding Partner at Moises Law, P.A.

I am a renter and I have lived at an Apartment Complex . I

Customer Question

I am a renter and I have lived at an Apartment Complex for decades. I was quite satisfied there for many years until a new management group bought out the complex. Naturally, the rental fees increased greatly, and I had a dispute on one of the charges. I had signed the lease for this year in December of last year. This past week I requested a copy of my lease and found it had been doctored. The original lease figures had been scratched out and replaced with the figures that I had disputed. Naturally I was angered, but I made up my mind to make this my last lease and move to another complex with lower rental fees. The question is. Was this doctoring of the lease legal?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 5 months ago.
Hello. Thank you for contacting me. I am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. The short answer is no. Any amendments to the lease that are made must be initialed/signed by both parties to the lease. An amendment to the lease cannot be made unilaterally as you have described. That is not legal or enforceable. I hope this helps. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Thank you.