Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I , am one owner of eight condo units that constitute a very

Customer Question

I , am one owner of eight condo units that constitute a very small condo development, State of Illinois Incorporated. We have not had a 'minutes' recorded meeting and reported back to the owners in over five years, nor board of directors, nor officers elected by the board of directors. One unit just sold for tenant occupation, and now the illegitimate- I say- illegitimate- because we have not elected a board or officers in over five years and any term is expired??? This treasurer holds control of the condo bank account and is the corporate agent listed with the IL SOS now he has his unit up for sale and has unilaterally decided to hand everything over to another owner with no election or giving any kind of announcement or notice of meeting . I confronted him about this and his response is that no one trusts me or likes me, I said tough crap, that does't bother me. I just want the by laws followed and keeping everyone duly notified. I also was wanting to be the agent treasurer and being paid for my efforts as a paid agent for doing administrative work, subject to approval of the BOD. Can I hire an attorney and be reimbursed in order to stop the malfeasance of the bastardized condo association, or do I have to go to small claims because no attorney wants to be bothered.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..Do all the owners pay dues to the COA?.Have you reviewed your Bylaws thoroughly to see if it as a clause that states the "prevailing party" in any dispute has the right to be reimbursed for their reasonable legal expenses and attorney fees?.Has anyone filed a request with the Board to have a formal meeting to elect new officers or has everyone just let things stay as they are?.Putting aside the fact that their terms have expired, have they done anything illegal such as stealing member money or spending it on things that are not authorized?.What is it that you would be suing for in court? What is the ultimate goal?..thanksBarrister