WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced real estate lawyer and real estate broker.
62735101

I live in Tuckerton New Jersey. I paid three (3) quarters

Customer Question

I live in Tuckerton New Jersey. I paid three (3) quarters Real Estate taxes in 2015, but did not pay the fourth quarter. A Real Estate Tax Sale was held in December 2015. Someone was the successful the bidder at the Tax Sale and now holds the Tax Sale Certificate for the 4th quarter of 2015. They subsequently voluntarily paid the 2016 1st & 2nd quarter real estate taxes. I want to redeem the 2015 Real Estate Tax Sale Certificate that was acquired at the December 2015 sale. However, I was informed I have to pay all three (3) quarters in order for me to redeem my December 2015 Real Estate Lien Certificate. I don't believe the information I received the correct. Is the Tax Collector correct and if so, by what statutory authority governs.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 11 months ago.

No you only have to pay the fourth quarter tax payment. The county should refund the taxes to the holder of the certificate and restore your account to what it should be.

Then, you would pick up the responsibility for taxes.

please rate the answer 4 or 5 and close out the question. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

Please rate 4 or 5 and close out the question. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.