Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer- Broker 30+years - foreclosure, short sale, liens, title attorney.
18215332

May a new property owner build a fence in your driveway

Customer Question

May a new property owner build a fence in your driveway which diminishes your driveway resulting in your inability to open your car door if you park in said driveway.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 6 months ago.
Technically, the property owner can build his fence on the property line. It doesn't matter what affect that has on the adjacent property. In order to claim your right to use that property, you will have to establish a claim by adverse possession. I suggest that you speak with of local real estate lawyer as soon as possible. Here is some general information about adverse possession law in New York state. This will answer a lot of questions that you may have on the subject. http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/who-can-claim-property-based-adverse-possession-new-york.html I hope that you will enter a positive rating for my assistance here by clicking on 3, 4, or 5, for which there is no additional cost to you. Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.
Hello again. Do you have any follow-up questions. If not, I would appreciate it if you would enter a positive rating for the answer that I provided to you.