Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

Can landlord force me to move out so they can tear down the

Customer Question

Can landlord force me to move out so they can tear down the house. They are claiming I didnt pay rent, even though I have receipts. I received a 3 day notice, and was harrassed for next 10 days to be out immediately. Once we moved, within 10 days of notice.....landlord is now suing me for breach of contract? What do I do?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.
Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney and I look forward to assisting you.Why did you leave if you had paid the rent?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We were harassed daily and told that we would be sued, and or arrested if we did not leave. He came into property to see if we moved out, and bulldozed it in under a week.
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma.   I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.
Each lease carries with it a warranty of quiet enjoyment. That means that, so long as you pay your rent, the landlord can not bother you. If the landlord harassed younto the pont that you were forced to move out then that is a violation of the warranty of quiet enjoyment. You can and should file a counterclaim, along with your answer denying the allegations in their complaint, to sue them for constructive eviction and breach of contract.
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.
It is recommended you retain local counsel to go to court. There is no reason to have to learn as you go. If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys) . Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspxIt is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty.  The attorneys are all peer rated.  So, they represent the top of the profession.