Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

Is there a law in California requiring a title company to

Customer Question

Is there a law in California requiring a title company to provide a seller with a preliminary title report before close of escrow?
e
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.
Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.
The relationship between a title company and its customer is contractual. Any deadlines for providing a report would be governed by the contract between the the parties.
Delays which are beyonf the reaonable control of the title company happen sometimes and would, generally, cause a delay of closing (since no title company will close and disburse before the title is examined).
Also, most title company terms of service disclaim reasonable delays.
So, no, there is no statute that the report must be provided before closing, but no one will or should close without it.
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.
Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?
If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.