Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.

Can I become a licensed CPA in NYS with a Class A

Customer Question

Can I become a licensed CPA in NYS with a Class A misdemeanor from 25 years ago? Received Certificate of Relief from Disabilities about 10 years ago and have received other professional licenses (real estate broker and notary public), both of which I've been licensed with for over 10 years and both of which have fiduciary requirements associated with licensure. This is the only blemish on my history and I would like to know if this will prevent me from becoming licensed and whether or not public accounting firms will hire me.
Category: Real Estate Law
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This is not a real estate law question! I saw on my account that this was classified as real estate law and this has nothing to do with real estate law! THIS QUESTION IS RELATED TO EMPLOYMENT AND PROFESSIONAL LICENSURE AS A CPA!
Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.
It would not, in and of itself, be a bar to CPA licensing, especially if you have recieved other professional licensing since then and have had an unblemished record since.
You would, certainly, need to disclose this incident if requested.
You may be called to meet with the state board, but that will give you the opportunity to highlight your turnaround and the fact that it is an anomaly in an, otherwise, law abiding record or professional accomplishment.
Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.
Should say "of professional accomplishment" not "or"
Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.
If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.