Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

I have a cleaning company in washington state. I was hired

Customer Question

i have a cleaning company in washington state. I was hired by the tenant of a foreclosed property to clean out and clean up a rental property owned by the VA in order for the tenant to receive a cash for keys settlement. Do i have lien rights if the tenant does not pay me?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.
Good evening. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to answering your question. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get. Unfortunately,assuming no contractual provision to the contrary, there is no provision for a summary mechanics lien process in an maintenance contract. You remedy for non payment is a suit for breach of contract.Once you receive a judgment then you can assert your post judgment collection processes.
Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.
I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I read on the internet there was an exception i some cases for cleaning services of foreclosure properties but have been unable to locate it again?
Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.
I do not see that exception in Washington state lien laws.I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.
If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.