Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  13 years experience in RE Law, including LL/Tenant, contractor disputes, comm'l prop. issues

I am in nc. What can happen if a security deposit is not

Customer Question

I am in nc. What can happen if a security deposit is not returned or no notification about it with in 30 days?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 5 months ago.
Hello there ---A landlord does have a full thirty days to put the letter in the mail so if it goes a few days beyond the thirty days that you receive the letter so long as it is postmarked by the thirtieth day, it is legally acceptable. If it has been long past that time then the recourse of the tenant is to take the landlord into small claims court for the return of the security deposit and you can request that the court award you double damages if the landlord does not have a good reason why the letter was late arriving or never sent to the tenant.--Please let me know if you have any further questions. If not, can you please press a positive rating above (third, fourth or fifth star in the ratings section above) so that I will be given credit for my time assisting you. The only way I receive credit is if you press a positive rating above. Your question will not close. THANK YOU MARY