Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  Texas Attorney for 30 years dealing in real estate

If I have a tenant who just stopped paying rent last month

Customer Question

If I have a tenant who just stopped paying rent last month and we are starting the eviction process and they call to tell me that the pilot light is not working and they have no hot water. Do I have to fix it even though they are squatting? Pg&e has shut it off so it does not leak any gas so there is no safety issue as far as safety goes.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ray replied 5 months ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today. No you just respond to them that the utility company turned it off.Offer to let them leave now and avoid eviction on their record.Otherwise you have no obligation to them here.You file for forcible entry and detainer.Either use a lawyer or file yourself. Self help and forms--you do not have to use a lawyer its optional. I wouldn't turn it back on here since eviction is pending.You hope they decide to leave, and the power company shut it off.There may well be safety issues. I appreciate the chance to help you and wish you the best here.