How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 31590
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm delinquent on my real estate taxes. I want to set up a

Customer Question

I'm delinquent on my real estate taxes. I want to set up a payment plan. There is a lien on my house and due to my poor credit score I can't get a home equity loan. Please, what can I do, I don't want to lose my home
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist. You generally cannot work out a payment plan on your real estate taxes. Instead, they must be paid by the due date or the property is sold for taxes at a tax sale (where someone else pays the taxes and receives a chance to obtain a property interest in as a result.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Here's a link that outlines that process:
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
The only thing you could do is get a loan, refinance your property and include the taxes and property insurance included in escrow or even file bankruptcy to stop the tax sale process.....but you'd have to resolve the debt through bankruptcy in order to avoid losing it.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Otherwise, you generally have 6 months to redeem the property or it could be lost.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
basically my house is gone.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Well, you'll need to find a way to pay the taxes before the sale.....or find someone to buy the property for the taxes and let you pay them back -- and when you do -- deed the property back, etc. You can come up with some type of arrangement to keep the house, but it is going to involve repaying the money. However, if it is not possible to gather money to pay the taxes, then the best option is really to see a bankruptcy lawyer and discuss filing bankruptcy to stop the tax sale.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting.

Related Real Estate Law Questions