Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I'm delinquent on my real estate taxes. I want to set up a

Customer Question

I'm delinquent on my real estate taxes. I want to set up a payment plan. There is a lien on my house and due to my poor credit score I can't get a home equity loan. Please, what can I do, I don't want to lose my home
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 9 months ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist. You generally cannot work out a payment plan on your real estate taxes. Instead, they must be paid by the due date or the property is sold for taxes at a tax sale (where someone else pays the taxes and receives a chance to obtain a property interest in as a result.
Expert:  Roger replied 9 months ago.
Here's a link that outlines that process: http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/getting-your-home-back-after-property-tax-sale-massachusetts.html
Expert:  Roger replied 9 months ago.
The only thing you could do is get a loan, refinance your property and include the taxes and property insurance included in escrow or even file bankruptcy to stop the tax sale process.....but you'd have to resolve the debt through bankruptcy in order to avoid losing it.
Expert:  Roger replied 9 months ago.
Otherwise, you generally have 6 months to redeem the property or it could be lost.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
basically my house is gone.
Expert:  Roger replied 9 months ago.
Well, you'll need to find a way to pay the taxes before the sale.....or find someone to buy the property for the taxes and let you pay them back -- and when you do -- deed the property back, etc. You can come up with some type of arrangement to keep the house, but it is going to involve repaying the money. However, if it is not possible to gather money to pay the taxes, then the best option is really to see a bankruptcy lawyer and discuss filing bankruptcy to stop the tax sale.
Expert:  Roger replied 9 months ago.
Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting.