Attorney 1
Attorney 1, Attorney
Experience:  Knowledgable and Experienced Attorney

I filed a roof hail damage claim with Allstate Insurance. in

Customer Question

I filed a roof hail damage claim with Allstate Insurance. in July of 2015, we had a hail storm and since then over 100 homes in my subdivision have had roof replacements. Houses all around me are getting new roofs due to the hail damage. A roofer reviewed my roof and he found hail damage yet when the Allstate adjuster came he stated I had no damage. I did contacint the illinois department of insurance, submitted a map that showed all the homes that were issued permits for roof replacements and pictures of my roof- they did not do anything. My neighbors have received new roofs due to damage - but we did not.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet - I want to appeal Allstates initial review and if necessary go to arbitration
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: no - I do have a list of permits issued in our village and a map that shows these homes, I have a printout of the National Weather service report from 7/13/2015 and roof pictures
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Attorney 1 replied 5 months ago.
Hello, and welcome. I am a licensed attorney and happy to assist. I'm sorry to hear you are going through this problem with Allstate, but happy to say you do have recourse. If your roof was damaged and you are not having your claim acknowledged/paid, you can use Allstate's appeals process This is a necessary first step, but not necessarily the end of the story. If the appeal is declined, you can take the matter to arbitration if that is required of you by contract. Also, if your claim has been unreasonably denied, you may have an action for bad faith against your insurance company. If the court finds that Allstate acted in bad faith by denying your claim, they would not only order it to repair/replace the roof, as needed, but it could award you three times that amount in damages. Bad faith insurance actions are serious matters and a valuable tool for people whose claims are denied without cause. If you get to that point and feel you need to move forward with a bad faith action against Allstate, you should do so with an attorney. A good referral source will be your County Bar Association. There would be no charge for the referral and no charge for the initial consultation with the attorney to whom you are referred. If that attorney takes your case, there would likely be no out-of-pocket fees or expenses to pay, either. I hope this helps. If you need additional information or clarification, just let me know and I'll be happy to continue to assist. If I have addressed your issue and/or pointed you in a positive direction, please let me know that, as well. Also, please remember to leave a positive rating when prompted, as that is the only way attorneys on the site are credited for the help we provide. Good luck! Best, ***** *****
If there's anything else I can do for you, just let me know. I'm here to help. Best,Attorney 1