Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.

My wife has severe depression and anxiety with panic

Customer Question

My wife has severe depression and anxiety with panic attacks. She is on disability besause of all this along with a very bad back. She sometimes parks the c:ar crooked. One day a maintenence man saw her tap the tire of a pickup truck. He layed into her saying she was drinking and driving, Called police and said th=y were surveiling her and she was goining to jail. The police were kind and helped her back to our apartment. She was so upset she fell and broke her back about an hour later. She wants out of our lease. We asked but they refused. Can you help
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Her being upset and falling is not grounds to terminate the lease. Also, if the maintenance man observed conduct that may have violated the law, he did not do anything wrong by calling the police. So, at this point one incident is not something that would give you basis for breaking the lease. You would have to try to negotiate out of the lease or you would need to try to find someone else to take over the lease if the lease does not prevent subletting the premises. Otherwise, this one incident is not something that is sufficient legal grounds to break the lease without penalty I am afraid.