Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

Pearl JA: The Real Estate Lawyer will need to help you

Customer Question

Hi Pearl
JA: The Real Estate Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: I dont know where to begin
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: I have a long term lease, the landlord was in the process of selling her building and told me and my next door neighbor to start paying rent to the potential buyer
JA: OK. The Real Estate Lawyer will need to help you with this. Is there anything else the Real Estate Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: so we argued with her and told her our lease was with her and she had attorney writ us a letter stating that she wants us to start paying rent to this new soon to be buyer / manager
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Real Estate Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..I am not sure what your legal question is that I can help with tonight?.Is there some reason why you don't just pay the buyer the rent since you have been directed to do so?..thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Good evening
I did as the landlord directed me to do
Ok, so what is your legal question I can help with?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
but 8 months has passed now and I got an email from a new person saying he just bought the building and is now the new landlord -
Ok, thank you for that information.. I still don't know what your legal question is..
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Then two weeks later we had a 3 day notice on the door saying pay rent or quit in the amount of 108,000
at that you are now a sub-tenant since you started paying the guy whom
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
she had asked us to pay the rent to ---apparently the old buyer backed out and this new buyer got in to buy the building and as a result of what the landlord told us to do they are now saying we are no longer tenants and we are sub tenants to some guy who never paid rent while he was collecting our rent and they are trying to make us responsible for that in order to invalidate our lease
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The old landlord took the money and left and has now left us with this situation to deal with and we do not know what to do