Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
12711280

How long is it that a squater has to be on the land before

Customer Question

How long is it that a squater has to be on the land before anyone can get him to leave? What are the squatters rights?
Category: Real Estate Law
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 6 months ago.
I hope this message finds you well. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of experience handling matters of this nature. It is a pleasure to assist you today. Squatters rights are also more technically termed Adverse Possession laws. Colorado law requires the occupier (or "squatter") to openly be in possession of the property for 18 years, or after seven years of consistent payment of property taxes and color of title. The term color of title refers to some written document that shows a good faith believe that the possessor is legally entitled to the land, even if it fails to carry the necessary legal authority to do so. The code section in Colorado is 38-41-101, et seq. In order to claim title under adverse possession law, the claimant's possession of the property must be: Continuous Hostile to the interests of the owner of record (i.e., without permission) Open and notorious Actual (i.e., physically present on the property) Exclusive (one claimant for the entire statutory period). So, in your case, if you start living there and paying the property taxes, in 7 years, the property will be yours. Otherwise, you have to be present for 30 years (if you don't pay the taxes). Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Please also rate my answer positively (THREE OR MORE Stars) so I can receive credit for my response. Best wishes going forward!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He answered part of my question...
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'd rate this answer with three stars