Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I attempted to refinance my home through Equity One Mortgage

Customer Question

I attempted to refinance my home through Equity One Mortgage several years ago. I did not. Today I learned Equity One Mortgage has a $206,000 lien (the original value of my house) reported to the County Circuit Clerk. Equity One Mortgage is no longer in business. Help!
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  DrakeLAW replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, my name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. This question and response may be viewed by other parties as noted in JA’s terms of service. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. Have you been making mortgage payments?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have been making regular mortgage payments to Wells Fargo Home Mortgage; mortgage paid down to $160,000. (No financial dealings with Equity One Home Mortgage as did not refinance with them - or any other lender.)
Expert:  DrakeLAW replied 6 months ago.
Oh I understand then, ok, how do you know Equity One Mortgage has a $206,000 lien?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This is a little complicated.
1. I divorced ten years ago. House was put solely in my name. Quit Claim Deed was done.
2. When I tried to refinance house with Equity One Mortgage several years ago I learned their was a lien on my mortgage due to my ex-husband not paying some bills.
3. Next I learned my ex-husband was still considered owner of house (with me) because we did not take the Quit Claim Deed form to the court house.
4. When I tried to fix the situation with the County Clerk I was told I did not have the proper documentation and I gave up. (I am embarrassed to say I was very depressed; in despair, so I gave up.)
5. I decided to sell the house and realized I had to readdress and fix this situation. I made an appointment with my title company to "re-do" the Quit Claim deed and explained my worry about my ex-husband having caused liens on the mortgage.
6. I called my mortgage company to see if there were any liens on the mortgage. The representative (Wells Fargo) said to contact the County Clerk.
7. I called the County Clerk and was told there were no liens on the mortgage but that I needed to also check with the "recorder". I was transferred to the "recorder" who told me there was a $206,000 lien on my house from Equity One Mortgage.
8. I "googled" Equity One Mortgage and after many phone calls realized that company must be out of business.
\
Expert:  DrakeLAW replied 6 months ago.
I understand about giving up especially when you are going through those difficult times. The County Recorder is the right place to be. Can you contact them again and ask for the actual document evidencing this lien? You could then send it to me. With that I can surely help further.