Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992

Regarding Florida law, i own a condominium in Bradenton fl

Customer Question

regarding Florida law, i own a condominium in Bradenton fl and this property is nice, it is 90% apartments and 10% condo. I am being called by the apartment owners attorney telling me under fl law they have the right to force the owners of the condos to sell. I dont want to sell, and even though they are offering me more than what i paid i cant replace it for that. is this true about them having the right to force me to sell?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 months ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. Unfortunately, Florida is the only state I know of where that may be possible. In 2007, the FL legislature passed a law that was supposed to be designed to make it easier to do repairs. Unfortunately, someone "snuck" a loophole in and that loophole also made it easier for buyers who acquired 80 percent of the units in a complex to vote to convert to rentals and force the remaining individual owners to sell and leave. That is the law as it stands today. It is possible that you could fight the law and have i declared invalid or unconstitutional but you would have to hire a lawyer and get ready to spend a substantial amount of money to do so.