Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

We signed a 4 year lease starting June 1st, 2016, was just

Customer Question

We signed a 4 year lease starting June 1st, 2016, was just informed today that the people living in the place will not be moving until June 30th. Where we currently live I signed a Notarized letter saying we would be out June 2nd at our current location which the Owners refuse to allow us another month. The Owners of the place we are in back in April gave us verbal notice we had to move by July 1st then 2 weeks later told us June 15th then for whatever reason came with with June 2nd with this Notarized letter which only I signed. We cannot afford to move twice plus storage of our personal items plus furniture. i'm a Disabled Senior living on a Pension plus live with a Filipino family with 3 minor Children, one 6 months old. We live in Utah. What are our legal options?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The landlord in the new place is in breach of your lease and is liable to pay for you to move to a place to stay until the premises is vacated and for storage of your property as needed. If the landlord refuses to do so, then you have grounds to sue for breach of lease and for all damages incurred including costs of finding a new place and costs of moving at there.
So you start by giving them written notice they are in breach of the lease and demand payment for your costs to stay somewhere until the property is vacant and your costs of the move and storage and if they refuse, you file suit against them and find a new place to live and seek your damage in civil court against the new landlord.