Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.

If I purchase an office building built in 1964 that is NOT

Customer Question

If I purchase an office building built in 1964 that is NOT ADA compliant. Am I responsible as owner to make ADA corrections to the building
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Part of obtaining a certificate of occupancy for new or change in ownership is compliance with ADA. Also, if you will be making any modifications or improvements they will require you to upgrade to comply with the ADA for accessibility. You can put into the contract of purchase that your purchase is contingent on a Certified Accessibility Specialist inspection (ADA Compliance inspection), which would give you what needs to be changed so you can determine approximate costs of the upgrades to get your certificate of occupancy. There are some exemptions such as if cost goes above about $140K for repairs then you can get a delay or exemption in making full compliance. You as owner would be liable ultimately for making sure your building is compliant though in order to get a new certificate of occupancy or if you make any improvements or modifications.