J. Warren
J. Warren, Lawyer
Experience:  Experience in residential real estate and commercial leases.
64316804

I am a renter. the water heater busted and flooded my apt.

Customer Question

i am a renter. the water heater busted and flooded my apt. there was mold in the wall that they had to fix. It has taken now 19 days my apt was unhabitable due to mold. i am a transplant patient and was told to leave by my doctors. my question is can they still charge full rent. i paid them on the frist. ive been out of my apt. since the 29 0f april til now
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  J. Warren replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.I am sorry you are dealing with this situation. A tenant's rent should be prorated for the time a tenant is not able to live in the premises due to uninhabitable conditions which the landlord is responsible for repairing. In addition, if stated in a lease agreement, the landlord may be reasonable for payment of alternative living arrangements during the time of the ouster. All my best and encouragement. Thank you for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! Please press a positive rating above this message box in the ratings section so I will be paid for my time assisting you on this matter. Pressing a positive rating will not cost any additional money - it is simply the trigger used by Just Answer to pay me for my time (pressing the middle star or the fourth or fifth star on the right are all positive rating buttons).
Expert:  J. Warren replied 1 year ago.
Can I answer any additional follow up questions for you or clarify anything I have written above? If not, can you please press a positive rating above this message box in the ratings section so I will be paid for my time assisting you on this matter? Pressing a positive rating will not cost any additional money - it is simply the trigger used by Just Answer to pay me for my time (pressing the middle star or the fourth or fifth star on the right are all positive rating buttons).
Expert:  J. Warren replied 1 year ago.