Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.

When I bought my house it already had a fence in the backyard

Customer Question

When I bought my house it already had a fence in the backyard on all 3 sides. This was 9 years ago. Now my neighbor claims that on our dividing side between us it his fence and wants to take the fence down. And also claims the fence is on her property.
Last year we built a pool and also we have 2 dogs. We need the fence.
We had agreed last year to get a surveyor and to install a new fence splitting the cost, but now they "notified" me they are unilaterally taking the fence down at the end of this month.
And also telling me it is my problem and my cost to install a new fence if not I will be "breaking the law" because of the pool and dogs.
We had originally agreed to get a survey done to determine the correct dividing line and install a new fence, splitting the cost. Now they want to "force" me to pay it all by myself.
I want to know if I am protected in any way / anything I can do, or if they can do as they please with no consequences and I am the one that will be needing to foot the bill.
We reside in the Johns Creek in Fulton County, GA. We would like to avoid this getting any worse. Could we have some advice on how to proceed about this? Thank you.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
How long has the fence been their total before the 9 years you currently have of ownership?