Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years

I rent in Baltimore City in MD. My landlord is selling the

Customer Question

I rent in Baltimore City in MD. My landlord is selling the house at the end of our lease in 1.5 months and wants to begin showing it now. The lease says that she may access the house during 'reasonable hours' to do so. The problem is that my housemate works at night and sleeps during the day. This is causing a conflict, since any potential visitors would a) disturb my housemate and b) not get to see his room. We have suggested limited hours in the morning and evening when he is awake or not present but the landlord wants more flexibility. It seems to me that it is not 'reasonable' for them to disturb my housemate and prevent his 'enjoyment of the property.' What recourse do we have?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..As a general rule, a landlord's access rights are established under common law and are considered "reasonable" M-F, 8am to 6pm unless otherwise agreed. .So if you feel the roommate's rights to exclusive use and possession are being violated by the landlord, then you can simply refuse to allow access to the house and threaten to call the police and/or sue the landlord if they showed up if they won't agree to the limited times you propose..Then the ball is in the landlord's court as to what they want to do and whether they want to risk having the police called on a prospective buyer....As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years....thanksBarrister