Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

What is the process of evicting one partner in a relationship

Customer Question

What is the process of evicting one partner in a relationship that is spltting up, We own the property and my son and his girlfriend live in it with thier children. She left this morning and now wants to come back and claim her property which my son agrees she can do. My son is the only working member and is in the home with our permissionl. He has been told he has to give her 30 days to get her property and she has to be given an evicetion letter. Does this mean we have to write a letter as owners of the property and does this also mean that she can stay there for 30 days? He has talked to the police and they are telling him that if she shows up he is to leave the premises. Is there a time limit she can be given to retain her property. I don't want this to turn into a volitile situation can you help? She came into the relationship with 4 children and my son has two. He has his two and she has her 4 with her. Please help
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist. Is there a written lease in place? If so, who is on the lease agreement?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
There is no lease. We purchased the property which is a mobile home and my son and his girlfriend moved in one year ago. We make the payments and my son reinmburses us on a monthly basis. We did this to help them because that could not find a rental.
Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.
Ok. Thanks. If she doesn't voluntarily vacate the premises, then you and your husband would need to give her a 30 day notice to vacate the premises.......and if she refuses to vacate within that 30 day period, then you would have to file an eviction action and remove her via court order.
Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.
Thus, you should give her a written notice and deliver it to her.....that will allow the clock to begin running and move things toward getting her and her things removed from the property.