Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.

My name is ***** ***** neighbor has large hedges over 5 feet

Customer Question

hello my name is ***** ***** neighbor has large hedges over 5 feet tall that lean and grown into my yard ,that need trimming once or twice a month ,then 4 to 5 buckets of thorns , leave , ect for the trash. can i give them a nice letter asking them to please trim and maintain there shrubes ,or except the bill from my gardener.? thank you Bill McDonald
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.
Hi Bill. I am Loren a licensed attorney and I look forward to assisting you. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get. You can certainly ask, but the rule is that you can trim any shrubbery or trees to the property line which cross over to your property.The trimming would be done at your expense and you would not have a claim to sue the neighbor for the expense of trimming the encroaching vegetation.
Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.
I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.