RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases

My daughter obtained an apartment, and when she left, the landlord

Customer Question

My daughter obtained an apartment, and when she left, the landlord wthheld 500 of her deposit. When she confronted him about it, he said he had to pay the realtor a "finder's fee". Is this legal?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 5 months ago.
Good morning. No, this is not legal. The security deposit can be deducted and used for damages caused to the rental by the tenant. The deposit can not and should not be used for this finders fee and that cost is something which the landlord has to incur, if they use a realtor to find a tenant. It is not something that should be passed along to your daughter nor deducted from the deposit, since that is not the intended purpose. With that being said, once you received notice of the deduction, you did the right thing by disputing this and demanding it be returned and if the landlord does not, you can 100% sue for damages and the return of the deposit.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!