Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Contractor threatening lien on property. My girlfriend's mother

Customer Question

Contractor threatening lien on property. My girlfriend's mother moved into our basement last month. She (girlfriend's mother) hired a handyman to remodel the basement. He convinced the mother to use a certain floor tile. As the floor gets done he does not have enough to do entire floor so he chooses one to finish out the floor that doesn't match at all. Mother also picked out a certain shower tile, he decided to use a different one. While doing all this he also moved the plumbing and drain system in said bathroom. Code for drain on toilet is 13 inches. He moved the drain to 21 inches. So now you can literally walk behind it. She had paid him 1500 on a 2000
Dollar bid. When my girlfriend and I seen the shotty work we informed her mother and he was fired from job. He has sent a letter saying that if she refuses to pay the remaining 500 he will place. A lien on my girlfriend's property.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 9 months ago.
What is your question?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is he able to do this. And what is our recourse
Yes, he can. You can certainly file lawsuit against him for not only the release of the lien but for reimbursement of the $1,500.00 already paid because his work is substandard and in violation of the code. You should also request that the Court order him to pay for your Court costs including Attorney fees. You can also file complaint against him with the board that licenses contractors of his type in Georgia. You can also file complaint with your Attorney General's office. Basically, he should be made to regret ever threatening to put a lien on the property. Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.