Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.

We just attended our byearly HOA myg. The financials didn't

Customer Question

We just attended our byearly HOA myg. The financials didn't have mony in or beginning
G or ending balances. We are currently in a lawsuit with our township road commissioner and stated "our lawyer said no to reveal his ino S the township won't be able to see how much funding we have." What is the rules for reporting financial and can this info be withheld?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 5 months ago.
I am sorry, but I do not understand your post. Kindly review, edit, properly identify the parties and your issues, ask specific questions, and resubmit. Thank you for your cooperation,
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We were given a budget at our general meeting. This budget from out HOA board did not show money's received or a balance year to date. Due to the lawsuit we are told that the lawyer representing us said not to give out specific S since the township road commissioner will know much or little funds they have to continue the lawsuit. There have been many requests for actual budgets not edited. Can they deny a homeowner from information. This board is suspect due to the release of the Previous President BT a few board members. There was no vote on dismissal by the members of the community. We feel we are getting railroaded by these members and can't get information. Can you help?
Thank you for the information. Pursuant to 805 ILCS 105/107.75, the members have a right to inspect the Association records. If the Association refuses to give the members access to the records, the members would have to file lawsuit at the Circuit Court for access to the records. You and other affected members may retain a local Attorney who handles HOA issues to assist you. Otherwise, you may go to the local Courthouse in the Clerk's office to obtain complaint form to file the lawsuit on your own. You can use the following sites to find local Attorneys: Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your response. It seems that members of a HOA have little recourse but to spend hard earned money on attorneys. You told me nothing more than what I was able to Google. Sorry but this was not what I expected.
I am sorry that you feel that way. However, I can only provide information based on your post. Had I known what you already knew, I would not have wasted my time and yours. Best wishes,