P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  12+ yrs. of experience including real estate law.
11181181

In NC, is the rules on rental properties the same

Customer Question

in NC, is the rules for deposits on rental properties the same for a commercial bldg as it is for residential properties?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 6 months ago.
Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to helpAlso, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen. The rule is not the same. Or, rather, for commercial tenants, there is no analogy to NC General Statutes Chapter 42, Art 6 (so 42-50 to 42-58).NC General statute Art 6 limits how much money a landlord can charge for deposit on a residential rental. There is no such limit for a commercial lease...so the parties are free to negotiate this. There is no limit in the commercial space. Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.