Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.
7286322

Tried o buy real estate in eddyville Kentucky. Dealt with

Customer Question

Tried o buy real estate in eddyville Kentucky. Dealt with lake realty. They had an appt with us 4 pm Sunday April, had doc usign that we could not get to work so told us not to worry we would sign on Sunday they would change time with remax the listing agent for 6 pm Saturday. They did not! We were notified Sunday that remix had sold property Saturday eve. Remax told another agent the papers were signed on Monday. Why did remax contact lake realty if they thought we were out of sale. If contract was signed on Monday. They called our signing off for Sunday. This seems to be unethical but can we stop this potential sale? Tonia ********** ************
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. I am sorry to hear about this situation. If you never signed the documents and there was never a binding contract, then they can sell the home to someone else. Simply stating "they will be signed in a few days" is not binding. Any real estate contract has to be in writing under KY 371.010, to be binding. Since there was nothing in writing, there was not contract.It was unethical. But unethical does not mean illicit. Technically speaking, someone in your situation would have a weak lawsuit if they attempted to file to enforce a sale (and stop this one). Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty. I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.
Expert:  Ely replied 6 months ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!