Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.

I have an electric solar contractor that just threatened to

Customer Question

I have an electric solar contractor that just threatened to put a lien in my house. A contract was signed back in November 2015 to install a solar system, install a power surge protector, fix some electrical wiring, and install a external outlet for a power generator. It has taking him more than six months. I gave him an advance of the job close to $13,000 out of the approx $18,000 the job was going to cost.He wants to raise the price now for him to install the external outlet or not do it at all. He wants full payment now. I demand that he should finish the job to get the remaining monies. He is now threatening to place a lien.
JA: Real Estate issues can be tricky and expensive. The Real Estate Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Real Estate Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else the Real Estate Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: Yes, when he created the contract. He raised the original price and left out the external outlet, the fixing of some wiring, and the power surge. So I reminded him and I hand wrote those items in the contract. We all signed them. Now he claims that because those items were hand written they have no value.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Real Estate Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 5 months ago.
I disagree. As long the parties signed the contract with the hand-written items, the parties are bound by the agreement. That means that the contractor must work on the hand-written items also. If the contractor refuses, then that is a breach of contract and he is not entitled to be paid until the work is finished. If he threatens to put a lien on the house and then puts a lien on your home, you can file lawsuit against him to have the lien removed. You can also ask the Court to order him to pay for your Court costs since he is the one that breached the contract. Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.