CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.

We were at I need a piece of property from family and put a

Customer Question

We were at I need a piece of property from family and put a trailer on it. We then got an elevation of the property and a permit to build a home. We tore down the mobile home. And build a home with cash on the same piece a rental property. The home was built for feet in the air on pillars in order to be moved at a later date. We need to get a title to this home in order to have it moved. We do have the title to the mobile home that was originally in the spot.
JA: OK. The Real Estate Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: One lawyer told us because it is a movable piece of property that we did not need a title for it. Another told us if we had all the receipt showing that we built the home and had original trailer title. We could get one for our new home. But no one will tell us how to do it
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Real Estate Lawyer should know?
Customer: There is no mortgage on the home it is owned free and clear
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Real Estate Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 5 months ago.
Dear Customer,Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today.This is a somewhat unusual situation - if I understand your post correctly, you built a home on rental property, but did so in such a way that the home could be removed.As the home is not a modular or mobile home there is not going to be a title issued for this (mobile homes and modulars are issued title - in most states through the Department of Motor Vehicles). But a home is not titled separately from the property.The law that you are going to be working with is "improvements" to rental property. If you can show that the home is an improvement that can be removed without causing damage to the real property (which it appears is the case), then you are permitted to take your property with you.The proof of ownership (receipts, etc. - along with your testimony, photographs, any other evidence showing that you purchased the home, built the home, etc.) can be introduced into evidence to prove ownership of the structure.(This is what the attorney you spoke to was probably talking about, but the right of removal - which is probably what you are more concerned about - is going to be dealt with as a non-fixed improvement).