Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

How do I get out of a contract which states auto renewal after

Customer Question

How do I get out of a contract which states auto renewal after 1 year, I did not read the fine print they said I owe for the new term of an additional year what do I do thx
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 9 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..What type of contract is this... a lease?..thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no,a virtual office agreement
Ok, if there is no type of "buy out" in the contract, then unfortunately unless the other side has breached the contract in some way, there wouldn't be any legal grounds for you to get out of the contract..However, if you just stopped paying on the contract the other side would have to sue you in court for any damages that they could prove due to your breach. If they are a corporation, which is likely, then they may not want to spend thousands up front on an attorney to sue you for the debt because you could always potentially file bankruptcy and discharge the debt. So it may not be worth them trying to pursue this if you breached..If you decide to breach, then if you have given them some type of auto payment information, you would need to notify your bank or credit card to not allow any further charges for the monthly fees....thanksBarrister