WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced real estate lawyer and real estate broker.
62735101

I have termites in my home. I asked inspection the landlord

Customer Question

I have termites in my home. I asked for an inspection the landlord didn't give me a written work order showing they did the inspection they did not tell me the details of the damage I have been in this apartment of 10 months and have had termites the entire time, my son is sick because of it. They say they are going to treat the outside of the building but I want to know if our health is in danger and wish to break my lease.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 6 months ago.

If you think that your son is ill as a result of the termites, I would get a doctor to write a note stating that is the cause. With that doctor's note, you will be able to terminate the lease without any penalty to you. Tell the landlord that he is at risk for even bigger health claims if he doesn't terminate the lease at your request and put the full security deposit back to you.

You can also call in the building department, because as a result of termite damage, people can fall through the floors, or if you have a balcony, the balcony can fall off, causing serious injury to people.

Please rate 4 or 5 and close out the question. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

Please rate the answer 4 or 5 and close out the question. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.