J. Warren
J. Warren, Lawyer
Experience:  Experience in residential real estate and commercial leases.
64316804

I am divorced and the division of marital assets is due to

Customer Question

I am divorced and the division of marital assets is due to be settled on June 1st. I owned my home before I was married (2009). He left the army in 2013 and moved in with me. From that, I have two questions. Is there a complex formula to determine equity or in North Carolina is it determined from date of marriage, date of move in or date of separation. Second, My mortgage was transferred in April 2016 to another company. Today I received a letter from his attorney stating she subpoenaed that information. I am concerned as to how she knows the new information.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  J. Warren replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.I am sorry you are dealing with this situation. Assuming the house is a marital asset, typically equity is figured from the time the marriage was entered into until the date of final dissolution or legal separation (not the date he moved out but unless a legal separation occurred). Whom a homeowner has a mortgage with is a matter of public record and can be found on most title search engines or legal resources such as Lexis or Westlaw. Thank you for allowing me to help you with your questions. I apologize that this was probably not the Answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (3 stars or more). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. . Pressing a positive rating will not cost any additional money - it is simply the trigger used by Just Answer to pay me for my time (pressing the middle star or the fourth or fifth star on the right are all positive rating buttons).
Expert:  J. Warren replied 6 months ago.
Can I answer any additional follow up questions for you or clarify anything I have written above? If not, can you please press a positive rating above this message box in the ratings section so I will be paid for my time assisting you on this matter? Pressing a positive rating will not cost any additional money - it is simply the trigger used by Just Answer to pay me for my time.