Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

Our neighbor hood has under utilities

Customer Question

HI our neighbor hood has under utilities and we are getting gas piping mains installed today and this week.well one of there workers found that my electric main from the distribution box to my electric meter is corroded and not hard piped. I called the electric company,they came out to look at it and said yeah it needs to be fixed, they said its the home owners problem and the home owner has to fix it, call a electrician, I called a electrician and they well be here tomorrow to fix it I hope,. But I feel its the electric company's position to fix this problem its before the electric meter that meters my electric. what can I do?? My wife and I are both disabled and on fixed incomes. I feel they are just passing the buck to me. and what happens if someone gets hurt or dies ????? HELP
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 5 months ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.
Expert:  Roger replied 5 months ago.
The first thing would be to contact the Tennessee Regulatory Authority ( The TRA is responsible for regulating rates, terms and conditions of services provided to consumers of public utilities. Thus, contacting them should help you find out whether the services provided to you and the information told to you by the utility are true and correct.
Expert:  Roger replied 5 months ago.
You could also contact the utility, but the TRA is likely to give you a clearer and unbiased answer to the issue.
Expert:  Roger replied 5 months ago.
USUALLY, the utility company is responsible for anything to the customer's property line....and the customer is responsible for anything from the property line to the house meter and from the meter to the house.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
so if there's just no hard pipe and just number 00 wire that runs underground thru someone else's property and my property to my meter its my problem even though the distribution box is not on my property.
Expert:  Roger replied 5 months ago.
That's subject to what your local codes are -- which the TRA should be able to tell you. But, if the wiring was not installed by your utility, it is not likely going to be it's obligation to have the problem corrected.
Expert:  Roger replied 5 months ago.
I practice in the Memphis area, and the local codes here generally mandate that the utility service the lines to the property owner's property line UNLESS the utility installs the lines past that point.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What am I paying you for you don't know and your the lawyer and not even in this area ..... sorry to take up your time ...I need to talk to someone in this area thanks
Expert:  Roger replied 5 months ago.
There's not likely a lawyer her from your specific area. But, the answer to your question is going to be from the TRA.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm not satisfyied
Expert:  Roger replied 5 months ago.
Local ordinances and codes are not readily available and only a lawyer in your hometown could likely pull that information. But, it's just as easy to contact the TRA. That said, if the utility has told you that the repair is your responsibility, you can usually count on that as they've likely already checked out whose jurisdiction this falls under.
Expert:  Roger replied 5 months ago.
I've opted out so someone else can chime in if they have any additional information. I wish you the best of luck with this. Take care.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm sorry but I'm just not satisfied with the service thank you all.