LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years legal experience. Additionally, in CA I held a Real Estate Broker's license.
15277592

Iwas forclosed on. The bank walked wayfrom the pdoperty when

Customer Question

Iwas forclosed on. The bank walked wayfrom the pdoperty when it didnt sell at the sheriff's sale. I still hold the deed. Can i donate the property to harity?
JA: OK. The Real Estate Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Real Estate Lawyer can help you best. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: After forclosure, ths pdoperty didnt sell at the sheriff's sale. I didnt hear from the bank again. That has been nearly ten years ago. I still am charged taxes etc. I woulx like to donate the property to charity and need to know if i can.
JA: Is there anything else the Real Estate Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: Not that i know of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Real Estate Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.
Good afternoon,I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. While you can transfer the title that you have, just because the lender did not complete the foreclosure process does not mean that the lien against the property by the lender is not still valid. Whoever you donate the property to will still only get that right, title and interest that you have in the property---which is legal ownership with an outstanding lien against the property. But yes, if a charity is willing to take the property you may certainly donate it to them. You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.I wish you and yours the best in 2016,Doug
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.
Good afternoon,Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?Thanks in advance,Doug