Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I have never missed paying my associates fees, however a couple

Customer Question

I have never missed paying my associates fees, however a couple of time they were late because of the mail. I was charged$25. I did not pay it. Now they are charging me late fees on the late fee.
JA: The Real Estate Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Real Estate Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else important you think the Real Estate Lawyer should know?
Customer: We changed management, they said I had fees from the old management company. I had no idea what they could be so I didn't pay them the fee were to small to be associated fees. Now this new company say I now owe 700 dollars in late fees yet I have never missed a payment in the 14yrs I've lived here, so they are charging Me late fees on late fees
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Real Estate Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 7 months ago.
Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that: (A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here; (B) Experts answer questions based on the honor system. When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and (C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours. Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. Answer will follow in the pane below as per above parameters….1. What State are you located in?2. Can you please state your specific legal question so we know what type of answer you are looking for?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

I live in Florida. I was not aware that I had late fees since I always pay my condo fees before the 10th. So I'm assuming because pay by mail a couple of them did not arrive on time. I needed a print out of my account. It shows I owe almost seven hundred dollars in late fees. Because I didn't pay the previous late fees they are charging me late fees for my late fees.

Expert:  Maverick replied 7 months ago.
1. When did you first find out that you owed any late fees?2. When was the first late fee assessed - going back to what date?3. Did you ask them why they waited till the fees racked up to $700.00 before notifying you? We need to know this info before I can properly assist you.