Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.

My wife and I broke our lease due to active duty military orders.

Customer Question

My wife and I broke our lease due to active duty military orders. We gave notice on april 1 and paid for the month of april. The landlord is trying to charge us rent for may, and they have the townhouse already rented to another tenant. Isnt that considered double dipping.
JA: OK. The Real Estate Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not as of yet I am stationed in Baghdad Iraq and I am trying to handle this. It is hard to do many things from over here
JA: Is there anything else the Real Estate Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Real Estate Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  J. Warren replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.Thank you for your service. The general rule is that a landlord that has mitigated his damage should not be allowed to recover extra rent. Which State is the townhouse located in?This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
If you can let me know what State the town house is in I can see what the specific State law imposes on a landlords duty to mitigate and also laws which protect those in service when they are deployed.