Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I am tenet in a mobile home park my utilities are on the

Customer Question

Hi I am tenet in a mobile home park my utilities are on the same bills as my Rent I'm up to date I have all my receipts attached to my rental bill and the manger of the part issued me a 3-day notice to pay or quit because I was over 500.00 behind in my utilities and offer no documents showing this delinquency. Is this legal? what can I do?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..I need to ask a few questions before I comment...Does your lease state that your rent consists of both the lot rent and the utilities?.Has the manager mentioned anything about the utility bills in the past getting behind?.Do you pay your utilities as a separate payment or all in one lump sum with the rent?.Do your receipts show that you are current and up to date on all your payments?..thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Q#1 yes Q #2 no Q#3 one lump sum but the amount is itemized on my rent at ate ment Q#4 yes
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Correction on verbage for Q3 i ment Rent statement
Ok, then this has to be some type of clerical error with your account getting mixed up with someone else's.. If your receipts show that you are current on the rent and utility payments, then that is proof positive that you aren't behind because the landlord provides you with those statements..With that said, I would send the landlord copies of your receipts, certified mail so you have proof, and then that should take care of it as they will research and realize that they made a mistake..As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years.....thanksBarrister