Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

My mortgage lender refuses to send me a copy of one of two

Customer Question

My mortgage lender refuses to send me a copy of one of two mortgages I have with them. The one of which I am requesting a copy is current. They have locked me out of their website. Their reasoning is that another mortgage is not current (30 days), although that is transparent since both loans were current when I began requesting a copy three months ago. Am I legally owed a copy of the mortgage and if so, what can I refer to in my continued effort at getting a copy?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Yes, they legally have to provide you a copy of the mortgage. If you filed a request for the mortgage in writing, you are entitled to those documents. If they refuse to provide them, you can make a complaint to the US Department of Housing and also to the State Attorney General, Texas Banking Department and Federal Trade Commission.
If those entities cannot get you the copies, then you would be able to sue the bank for unfair and deceptive business practices and sue for the damages their conduct caused plus triple damages and attorney's fees for their unfair and deceptive business practices.